Friday, July 07, 2006

Tomorrow...tomorrow...

...We'll be off to Missouri and Tennessee!
My husband Allen and I are going to visit family, fill out more on the family tree he's been doing for a long time (it's becoming an epic), see new sights.
It's been rainy all week here and because pickup trucks and men go together like peanutbutter and jelly, I'm curious to see how a suitcase repels water. My beloved old van faithfully took us everywhere for years, daily trips thru Atlanta and beyond, even to California and once to New Orleans. It's tired and not as reliable as it used to be. Therefore...this time it's the truck. That utterly male and impractical vehicle. All you truck lovers need not tell me how wonderful trucks are, tell the kids that. It's the van they always want to borrow for moving, rambling, shopping, towing boats and trailers. It's a big service van. No fancy stuff..and I want another one just like it!
This will leave our son and a two year old grandson in charge of the house, three cats (one is a young lunatic, two are elderly persnickety aunties) a parrot that loves pizza, three dogs (plus a stray that has deposited a litter of cuties under Allen's woodturning shop) a flock of chickens, eggs they've hidden in unique and imaginative places....this frightens me just a little. Will the house still be standing in a week?
Will my computer still function? Do I have enough dishes to last them a week? I will be clutching my cellphone and praying the whole time we're away. I'm taking a stash and needles with me, plenty of sock yarns and hopefully two new books from Alibris will get here today to keep me occupied on the drive. One has a nifty baby sweater I want to knit!

No comments: