Monday, July 10, 2006


Yesterday, my DH found some huge, fresh shrimp and brought home a couple pounds, I already had a lovely wild salmon on hand...
So last night was a wonderful and easy dinner! Broiled salmon on a bed of rice with a layer of sliced onions, a layer of sliced lemons, my own special sauce that has been altered to use olive oil instead of butter (it's healthier and tastes good!), shrimp scampi a la' Mom..it's all about the olive oil, garlic, Pescino, paprika, and a couple other little dashes of this and that, and finally sprinkled with freshly (and finely) grated parmesan. A side of fresh greenbeans crowned with pearl onions and crusty bread to dip. Sounds complicated, but it's one of the easiest things to fix! And fast and such a pretty dish! Our son and his tot drove up exactly as I was taking it out of the oven. How does he do that??
Okay, chortling and tummyrubbing done...been thinking about some of my knitting projects. There's been a dismaying number of disasters in my "redesigning" projects. The most recent was discovering I had carefully knitted the front parts of a baby cardigan and...they were both the left side. Rip, rip, rip....
The other cardigan, the one done in that gorgeous Sonata cotton...yeah that one. The button band refuses to pick up properly. Did I slip that first stitch of every row just so it'd pick up perfectly? Yep. It's a perfect and neat selvage. Does it work? Nope.
Solution so far...I knitted a separate button band using a provisional cast on just to see what was going on. Haven't tried to put it all together yet, I'm waiting for my knitting disposition to improve. Meantime, am over halfway thru knitting a warm, wool sock while I consider things. It's entirely possible that I'm far too tempted to leap into a new project and have been woolgathering instead of paying attention to the cardigan. (Yep, I said that..you may now all groan in unison.) And part of the problem is that I have three new knitting books. One of those I bought just for one particular pattern in it. I love 'em all, but that pattern...I love it. It has no diagram and goes strangely in one direction then the other, I'm not certain I understand the pattern at all...but I want it on my needles asap. Gotta try it! This might be one of those week-long learning curves.

1 comment:

RheLynn said...

Good luck with your new pattern - and sorry to hear about the frogging on the baby cardigan. Dinner sounds good - even though I don't like shrimp! Thanks for leaving a comment and letting me get to know you :o)